When you are an OFW, saving is difficult but is not entirely impossible. All it takes is 'discipline' coupled with 'commitment' and a little dash of 'perseverance' and most importantly, 'action'.
How can we start saving? Here are five ways to turn that hard-earned money overseas into investment in the Philippines.
1. STOCKS INVESTMENTS. Buying stocks means 'to own' a share in a publicly traded company. Once you own a part of it, you become a shareholder according to how much investment you put into that particular business. The more stocks you have, the more you can earn, depending on the company's performance in the stock market.
Here’s a list of online stockbrokers accredited by the Philippine Stock Exchange: AB Capital Securities Inc., Abacus Securities Corp., Accord Capital Equities Corp., Angping & Associates Securities Inc., BPI Securities Corp., COL Financial Group Inc.,Yap Securities Inc., First Metro Securities Brokerage Corporation, RCBC Securities Inc. and Wealth Securities Inc.
Stock investing can be a little bit tricky and complicated for starters, but Bo Sanchez of Truly Rich Club will be able to help you with the basics on how to start investing. Upon admission into the club, you will receive easy instructions on how to open an account with COL Financial Inc. (formerly Citisec Online, TCR's recommended stock broker) for as low as P5,000 initial investment.
In the proceeding months, you will receive regular updates on which stocks to buy and which stocks to sell making the complicated process of investing easy. On top of that, you will also receive a regular dose of materials that will help you grow financially and spiritually.
To join Truly Rich Club by Bo Sanchez, click here.
2. MUTUAL FUNDS. Money experts say, it is the simplest form of investment. All that you have to do is to pour in a certain amount and leave all the works to the fund managers, who will invest those funds capital and work out to produce capital gains and more income for the fund's investors.
Investopedia explains that one of the main advantages of mutual funds is that they give small investors access to professionally managed, diversified portfolios of equities, bonds and other securities, which are difficult to create with meager amount of capital. Each shareholders have an equal share in the gain or the loss of the fund.
Here is a list of the Top 5 Best Mutual Fund companies in 2014 according to Philpad:
1. Philam Strategic Growth Fund, Inc.
2. Philippine Stock Index Fund Corp
3. Philequity Fund, Inc.
4. Sun Life Prosperity Phi. Equity Fund, Inc.
5. First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund, Inc.
3. REAL ESTATE. SMDC, a prime developer of condominium units across Metro Manila listed these reasons why we should consider investing in a condominium unit.
- 1. If your condo is situated in a prime location, it can bring a premium resell price or monthly rental.
- 2. Condos can help you rent out your unit through their rental services, ensuring that the unit is occupied, and the cash keeps flowing.
- 3. The purchase price is lower compared to a single family home. Renting it out tends to be cheaper than a typical home because the maintenance costs are shared, even if the property value is high.
- 4. Because condos have restrictions when it comes to maintaining the property, its value is maintained as well, which is great for when you’re renting it out.
- 5. Condos offer excellent amenities like pools, gyms, gardens, and so on. These are great perks for renting or reselling.
4. PAG-IBIG FUND. PAG-IBIG Fund is a very good retirement savings vehicle because it provides members' savings growing dividends generated from the loans incurred by its members and other generating projects.
The good thing is we have the option to choose how much savings we set aside monthly. Needless to say, the bigger the savings, the higher the annual dividends.
Pag-IBIG I Program:
The Modified Pag-IBIG II (MP2) program is a saving's scheme, designed to provide Pag-IBIG I members with another savings option that would grant them higher returns than those under Pag-IBIG I program.
MP2 program has a minimum contribution of Php 500.00 per month for a given term of 5 years (renewable). It has a flexible dividend rate but always higher than Pag-IBIG I program with contributions and earnings guaranteed by the government.
Here's how your money will look like after 5 or 10 years:
Here's how your money will look like after 5 or 10 years:
5. AGRICULTURAL PROPERTY. Investing in agricultural property is also a wise investment according to Lito Soriano, most sought-after consultant, and discussant both in government and industry meetings and dialog about overseas employment industry.
"Dear OFWs, the stock market, condos-real estate in the cities are not safe place to put your savings. I suggest you invest/buy agricultural lands and properties in your own province where you were born." he posted in his Facebook page.
What makes an agricultural land a wise investment?
1. Its value does not depreciate. As time goes by, land properties increases its worth and its return may be even higher than a bank interest.
2. With the country's growing population, the demand for agricultural products is also growing so the income in this property is constant.
3. With proper maintainance and self-suffiencient financing, there is a very good return of investment in farmlands. Harvest time for vegetable farms is in a weekly basis, and rice farms harvest at least twice a year so the income is always coming into your pockets.
4. Farmlands can be a family business. This way, our family is earning their own money rather than waiting for that monthly allotment we are going to send them. "It's providing them a fishing rod so they will know how to catch a fish rather than feeding them right away."
Experts say that we should try to diversify our investments to avoid total drain in cases of loss. So you can start picking two or all five of these in the list.
Like in other things, the first steps are always the most difficult ones but when you do, 'investing' becomes a habit. And when you apply discipline, commitment and perseverance, you will surely achieve that goal of returning to our country for good.