Saturday, July 11, 2015

VICTIMS. Students were rushed to Adella Serra Ty Hospital in
Tandag City after suffering symptoms of food poisoning.
(Photo: Ms. Marivic Breviescas via Cagwait Surigao del Sur FB Page)
BUTUAN CITY, PHILIPPINES. More than 1,300 people - mostly children fell ill after eating durian-flavored candy in at least six municipalities in Surigao del Sur on Friday, July 10, authorities said. 

Reports said the students reaching to at least 1,350 in number were rushed to different health centers and hospitals for emergency treatment after suffering nausea, vomiting, dizziness, stomach pain and headaches. 

In the municipality of Cagwait, at least 400 cases were reported but no fatalities have been recorded opposite to the early reports yesterday. 

Posted in its Facebook Page, Cagwait expressed its gratitude  the victims are already in stable condition.

"Ang Cagwait ay nagpapasalamat na WALANG NAPAULAT NA NAMATAY taliwas sa unang napabalita. Ang ibang mga biktima ay fully recovered na at nakauwi na sa kani kanilang pamilya. Ganunpaman,  may mga naiwan pa rin sa mga karatig ospital na nagpapagaling pa ngunit stable na ang kondisyon."

("Cagwait is thankful that NO FATALITIES HAVE BEEN RECORDED as opposed to earlier reports. Some of the victims have fully recovered and are now with their families, however some of them are still recuperating in nearby hospitals but are already in stable conditions.") 

Similar cases were also reported in the towns of Lianga, San Agustin, Marihatag, Tandag City and Tago. 

Authorities said the durian, mango and mangosteen flavored candies were sold by ambulant vendors at cheap prices to students during recess time. 

In Surigao del Sur, police authorities have arrested 12 vendors who are said to be responsible for the distribution of the said candies. 


In Bayugan City, police authorities have tallied a total number of 196 cases.

Agusan del Sur Vice Governor Santi Cane posted in his Facebook page the PNP has apprehended a vendor of 'buko pie' following the complaint of a certain resident of Sibagat, Agusan del Sur who suffered poisoning after eating the said delicacy. 

A victim from San Francisco, Agusan del Sur was also admitted in D.O Plaza Memorial Hospital

Authorities have already warned the public to be vigilant about buying from ambulant vendors. 


Post a Comment